Guidelines for Contributors
Prior to the Submission of the Manuscript
Before you submit your manuscript, please make sure that
- the guidelines on artefacts originating from other than legal excavations or sources are followed.
- the research was authorized by the relevant authorities.
- you own the copyright or acquire the usage right for all visual material like photos, drawings, and so on. It is the responsibility of authors to obtain copyright permission for all illustrations and JHP takes no responsibility for any copyright infringements.
- the manuscript is written in an language accepted by JHP (see below).
To accelarate the research and intensive exchange between scientists of different nations a common basis for communication is fundamental.
The JHP therefore prefers to use the English language for the contributions, as English is the prevalent language in this field of research and in most school systems in the world is part of the curiculum.
Please note, that the article should be submitted in British English spelling, not American.
Contributions in German or French are - by prior agreement with the editors - also accepted if they are accompanied by a detailed summary in English.
Preparation of the Manuscript
Please note the following basic rules:
- References to literature should always be cited as footnotes.
- References in the footnotes are made in author-year system. The full reference is to be given in the bibliography.
- Illustration references in the text should be given in brackets.
- Use BCE and CE, not BC and AD; Hellenistic period with lower case 'p'.
- Greek and Latin terms in English should be italicized (in situ, tesserae).
- Use numerals for century: 4th - 3rd - 2nd - 1st century.
Apart from the basics, authors are free to choose a citation system with which they are familiar but are required to remain consistent within their own article. The system used should be mentioned in the first footnote.
The text should be formatted as follows:
- Font: Times New Roman, uniformly 12p
- line spacing uniformly 1,5
- continuously paginated
- allowed formatting: bold and italic. Please refrain from any other formatting!
The Author submits:
- Text with footnotes
- Abstract (in addition to long articles, no more than 100 words)
- List of captions (incl. copyright informations)
- Contact details
All documents should be submitted in digital form: Texts as word documents, Photos as tif- files in CMYK mode, drawings as illustrator-, tif- or pdf-files.
Please note: illustrations should be numbered continuously and should be submitted in a quality ready for printing.
Please do not hesitate to contact the editors, if you have any further questions regarding the submission of a contribution.
The complete guidelines can be downloaded here as pdf: